Sunday, October 1, 2023

Why don't I like Microsoft 365? It is counter-productive.

A file is shared with me for review.  All files by default are shared as read only.  How can I request the permission to allow me to put comments?

Here are my chats with Microsoft New Bing:

Prompt:

Now my situation is that at the site level, the default probably set to the "read only".  Most people by mistake does not override the permission to comment only while they are sharing.  The recipient, like me, can only have the read-only to those files shared with us.  Now, my question was how can I request the owner of the file to adjust the permission for me so I can have the comment access?  I don't need the site admin to change the default.  I don't need the edit right.  Most of cases are shared for review and we need the comment right.

Answer:

If you need to request comment access for a specific file in SharePoint, you would need to contact the owner of the file directly. There isn’t a built-in feature in SharePoint to request additional permissions from the file view.

Here’s a suggested message you could send to the file owner:

Subject: Request for Comment Access to [File Name]

Dear [File Owner's Name],

I am currently reviewing the file [File Name] that you shared with me on SharePoint. However, I noticed that I only have read-only access to the file. 

In order to provide my feedback effectively, could you please grant me comment access to this file? This will allow me to add my comments directly to the document, making the review process more efficient.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best,
[Your Name]

Remember to replace the placeholders (the text inside the square brackets) with the actual file name, file owner’s name, and your name.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

No comments: