Saturday, September 5, 2015

Getting started with Git


Why do I need to learn Git?

Github is used for
  • sharing files
  • wiki
  • issue tracking
  • backup

It is used in many open source development.
It is used by the course I am taking from Coursera.com.

Git is the version control software to interact with Github.

Where did Git come from?

It was designed for managing Linux development. It is a distributed development environment.

Where to download Git?

Official site: git-scm.com
We can download GIT from here.

What does the Git Bash software do?



It lets me to use basic unix commands in my window8 system. I have tried these in Git bash:

pwd
ls
grep
find
clear
echo
mkdir
cd
grep
head
tail
cat
move
ps

All commands work, but the command "more" does not work.

This site helps:
Basic Git Command Line Reference for Windows Users
but it mixed Unix and Git commands.

This site is purely for Git commands only.
Git Reference





No comments: